Sunday 16 October 2011

I had a call a few days ago that reminded me of a pet peeve of mine...parents who call in and want to do everything for their *very* adult 'kids'. And I'm not talking about the normal situations where a parent might call because the kid has asked them to, or the kid is genuinely unable to handle their own affairs so they require assistance - obviously, of course those are all good.

I'm talking about the ones where the parents seem unable to detach the kid from their tit, and the kid is just a lazy bum leeching off the parent's detachment issues

Observe...

Me - "Welcome to Health Insurance Inc, how may I help you?"

Stupid Customer - "Yes, hello, my name is Maria. I'm calling in about my darling little boy's policy. He told me he got a letter from you people saying that he owes money? That's obviously incorrect as I pay everything for my child! So I'm calling in to get this rectified"

[NOTE - anyone of any age can take out their own policy. Up to age 18 a parent or guardian can freely call in and act as the policy holder as the policy holder themselves are under-age. From 18-on though, the customer themselves must send us written authority for any other person who they wish to be an authorised party to enquire or make changes on the policy. In this instance, from the way she was speaking, I assumed she was talking about her son who was younger than 16-ish?]

Me - "Sure, I can help with that. May I have his policy number to start with?"

[She gives me a number. It brings up the policy of a 33-yr old man. So...]

Me - "Whoops, I may have keyed that in wrong, could I please grab that number from you again?"

[Same policy comes up]

Stupid Customer - "Right, so you sent my little boy Mitchie a letter saying he never paid but I pay everything for my little darling, so there must be a mistake!"

[Dear god...this is the right policy...]

Me - "Okay, I have the policy up but I'm sorry ma'am, Mitchell has not authorised anyone else to access his policy..."

*interrupting me, now yelling*

Stupid Customer - "I'M HIS MUMMY! Don't you dare tell me I don't have permission to access my little boy's policy, I do everything for him! He's far too busy what with the television and the video games - you know how it is with young boys there days, busy busy! Now look, he said the letter said he hadn't paid but I know that..."

*me now interjecting*

Me - "Again I'm sorry ma'am, but until Mitchell send us a written letter of authority for yourself, we will be unable to discuss his policy with you"

*she then literally screeeeeams into the phone*

Stupid Customer - "You f*cking b*tch! I'm his f*cking mummy, he isn't going to send you anything! He's too busy! I do everything for him! Now you sort this out for me right now or else you'll f*cking regret it, you got it?!"

Me - "Get him to send the letter of authority for you and we can go from there. Thanks for calling" *CLICK*

It all just makes me...shudder

No comments:

Post a Comment